Nature is well known to have positive effects on our mental health and overall well-being but there is also evidence that it can specifically assist in the workplace by promoting positive mental health and helping to reduce stress.
“Nature-based interventions” can include a variety of activities such as:
- Nature exercise. This may mean walks or other activities surrounded by nature.
- Nature savouring. This is about focusing our attention on nature directly for a period of time and “taking it in” or savouring it.
- Green office space. Incorporating greenery, plants, and other natural features in a workplace environment.
These activities can occur throughout the day for specific time periods or occur over staff breaks or even during walking meetings.
Notes About this Intervention
- Courses are recommended for employers, employees, managers, and supervisors.
- Resources, even minimal ones, are needed for nature-base interventions. Having access to some natural habitat can be an asset but not necessary. Purchasing plants and other greenery for natural indoor landscapes could also have a positive impact.